After two years of dormancy due to the pandemic, the world-renowned Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival returned, and brands took full advantage, capitalizing on the massive pop-culture event. Music fanatics received a big dose of diverse music genres and brand activations throughout the two consecutive weekends.
Notable trends we saw from brands this year:
Integrating directly into acts on stage:
• The City Girls stage setup was a pink bar with bottles of 1800 Cristalino and Red Bull
• Both Red Bull and 1800 were featured in City Girls music videos, so the memorable set showed how brands can find limitless extensions from a single collaboration
Including the crowd in brand activations:
• Adidas gave all 125,000 attendees a chance to win exclusive memorabilia for this year’s Coachella.
• The collaboration with designer Sean Wotherspoon was an unforgettable ode to sustainability when 1,000 winners showed up for a late-night performance rocking the iconic vintage jackets
• After months of urging Taco Bell to bring back their Mexican Pizza, Doja Cat confirmed that she made it happen during her performance! The announcement became one of the most-talked about moments of the weekend causing a social media stir
BRAND INTEGRATIONS ON STAGE
A large number of brands were used as stage decoration and props during artists’ performances to create unique and memorable integrations consumers won’t forget. These brands are now part of Coachella history.
METAVERSE AT COACHELLA
Brands are creating interactive activities through decentralized digital platforms while tapping into a new market of consumers.
• Absolut Vodka partnered with Decentraland to roll out Absolut.land “a Coachella- inspired pop-up experience” where users could find hidden tickets and unlock prizes!
DIVERSITY THRIVES IN THE DESERT
This year’s Coachella lineup emphasized inclusivity featuring artists from backgrounds never seen on the festivals stage:
• Pabblo Vittar – first ever drag performer
• Anitta – first Brazilian Woman to take the main stage
• Bands MS and grupo firme – Latin regional bands
According to Spotify, Coachella user-generated playlists have already amassed more than 11 million streams — and climbing fast.
Coachella also hugely boosted new artist discovery with artists receiving many first time plays on Spotify after they were announced on the lineup.